Wednesday, February 3, 2016

I am an Artist!



I am an Artist!

Some people who know me may reply to that with a smirk and a “Duh”! To others it may seem a bold declarative statement. The truth is this is the only thing I do, or have done for nearly four decades. Like most subjects, your perspective on this will be based on your experiences, attitudes, and the people you surround yourself with. Some believe that once you start creating art, you are an artist. There are others who conclude that the title “Artist” should be bestowed upon someone only after some secret committee has approved your resume and body of work.  

Why is this a question? I was speaking to my server at a restaurant in the arts district of Augusta, GA last week while having dinner with my twin brother. She stated,  “I draw, and paint, and would like to be an artist someday; but, I’m not an artist”.  My heart sank. My reply was; “Sure you are”! She shrugged her shoulders and walked away. I questioned why someone would think that way.

This is not new. I have encountered this attitude often in my life. I have had students and artist-friends who hesitate to call themselves artists. Possibly they think this way because they have so many other things going on in their lives. It may also be because it is not their primary occupation. I have spoken with more than one artist who believed that they where mealy hobbyists or students. This is sad to me because I believe attitude is everything in this life. Your attitude helps you set goals that are hard to reach, but worth the effort. Your attitude allows you to make the effort to learn new media, practice your creative skills and bravely express yourself. After all, you are an artist!

On the flip side of this coin are those people who refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that a person who creates artwork for others to see is an artist. You need not be represented by a dozen galleries and be hanging in the local art museum to be deserving of the title of artist. Most people understand that if you are working as an artist, and you are dedicated to creating artwork, you are an artist!

I understand that the above is a definition that is only relative to a visual artist. Webster define artist as a person who creates art, a person who is skilled at drawing, painting, etc., a skilled performer, or a person who is very good at something.



1 comment:

  1. I fully understand what you are getting at. I have written several short stories that have sold but still wouldn't consider myself a "writer". A writer is Tom Clancey or R.L. Stein.

    ReplyDelete