Friday, April 1, 2016

A Zedbra is drawn.

Black and white and running all over. I have finally finished "Zebra, Watching", the name of my newest drawing. I am happy with the detail and tension I was able to build into this drawing of a static zebra. It is a challenge to impart drama into a realistic drawing without graphic tricks or wild color. The work is a 14" X 11" pen and ink on Bristol board.

I had a lot of fun working on the textures of the short hair that the zebra has on the face and neck. The zebra’s black and white pattern and the way the hair creates a texture and changes tone as it moves and changes directions. The pattern has it’s own mind, fading out in places as it curves over the muscular body of this beautiful animal. As the hairs get slightly longer, the black and white continue to resist merging, as the stripes keep crisply defined. Rendering the zebra’s mane was fun also. My interpretation from observation is that the mane is black, with white highlights added. The texture is that of a stiff brush, almost like a short broom.

My next post will be about a drawing technique that I have developed to lay down a tone pattern without a noticeable area as sections overlap. This is great for areas of natural textures where a perfect pattern isn’t required.

Please take a minute to look at my Facebook page, or hit the like button.
Website: http://ericraycreative.wix.com/artwork
Contact me at:  ericraycreative@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment