Saturday, June 10, 2017

Tiger by the Tail

When sketching my drawing called "Tiger Fording the River" I wondered if I may have bitten off more than I could handle. I have been striving to improve the quality and detail of my work. I have also struggled with the size of many of my statement pieces being so large (24" x 18" or larger). They stand out, but take such an incredible amount of time. So, I decided to work with a greater effort in my (current) most common working size of 14" x 11". Much like the "Rhino, Close" work.

Adding to the challenge of this drawing was my intention to use a very dark environment that my subject lives in, using only the .005 Sakura Pigma Micron pens. Even for the solid black.


This was my first attempt to draw a tiger since grade school, mostly because everyone draws tigers and it has been a cliche since forever. The layout was developed to give me good composition, and a definite feel of movement and drama. The reflections and rippling of the water where a challenge in pen and ink, but I think they worked out well for this drawing.


The detail work and adjustment of the tones to match the background while still allowing the subject (a tiger) to stand out. The mature of scanning black and white pen work exaggerates the contrast so something shows up in a low resolution image for the web. The high resolution scans are created for full-sized art prints, smaller art prints, publication/media use, web use and for my online store.

This drawing took well over seventy hours to complete and a number of pens gave their all to bring him to life, but I am very happy with these results knowing they are the next step in advancing the skills used in creating my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment